In this article, we are going to take a look at some of the best Wi-Fi calling apps and how they rank against each other.
“Hi, mom! Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday straight from London.” “Hi, sweetie! Thanky-“. “Mom? Hello? Oh, I’m out of credit.”
Have you found yourself in this situation where you’re trying to connect with family and friends worldwide but unable to do so because of poor call quality, expensive call rates and constant recharging?
Are you scouring the internet for the best free Wi-Fi calling and texting apps for android, iOS or any other platform? Trying to get the right information all on one page?
Getting confused over which app to use and why? Well, fret not, for we have compiled here a list of the top free Wi-Fi calling apps just for your convenience.
- 📱 The Evolution of Wi-Fi Calling and Texting
- 📲 The Best Wi-Fi Calling & Texting Apps in 2021
- 🤔 Frequently Asked Questions
- 🌟 Conclusion
📱 The Evolution of Wi-Fi Calling and Texting
With increasing globalization, boundaries are dissolving and the world is becoming accessible to all. Calling another phone either nationally or internationally can be expensive if done without subscribing to any bundle packages or using WiFi.
Hence, the advent of the internet opened up numerous possibilities to provide telecommunication solutions to these modern problems.
According to stats, as of January 2021, there were 4.66 billion active internet users worldwide – 59.5 per cent of the global population. Moreover, of this total, 92.6 per cent (4.32 billion) accessed the internet via mobile devices.
Hence, as the internet connectivity rose, various apps started being developed that provided features of calling and texting over the Internet. Presently, this industry has become very competitive, with top, leading brand names in telecommunications introducing their own apps with enhanced features.
So much is possible in today’s advancing age. Presently, we even have free calling and texting apps, no Wi-Fi needed! Just sign up and get your own number assigned so you can use it to call wherever you want, whenever you want.
Whether you want to use free text and call apps without Wi-Fi, or you want the best free Wi-Fi calling and texting apps for Android and iOS, you can find below the list of the top 10 best Wi-Fi calling apps that provide additional, customisable features to make your experience more personalized.
📲 The Best Wi-Fi Calling & Texting Apps in 2021
Among all the giants of Wi-Fi calling and texting apps, the following ten have established their reign in this industry, leading with over 100,000 to more than a billion users worldwide, each.
Subsequently, the free Wi-Fi calling apps for Android have higher flexibility in their customisation and allow greater user interactivity. However, some entries within the list are free text and call apps without the WI-Fi requirement! All in all, we leave the decision to choose best on your own educated ability.
WhatsApp is a mobile instant messaging app used by more than 2 billion people in more than 180 countries. Moreover, any user of the app can send and receive unlimited messages, pictures, and other files for free. In addition, the mobile app is available on Android, Apple and Windows devices, with a desktop client available for Windows PCs and Macs.
- Has an easy to use interface
- Enables live location sharing with contacts (either 15 mins, 1 hour, or 8 hours)
- Allows audio and video calling capabilities
- Audio messages can be shared. They can be listened to privately by putting the phone over the ear
- Chats can be emailed
- End-to-end encryption
- Automatic contact book syncing
- Free of ads
- Free of cost
- Available for iOS, Android and Windows smartphones. WhatsApp web for windows and MAC software
- GIF support and sharing
- The app is light, stable and fast
- We can add statuses as stories
- Compatible with Siri on iOS
- Broadcast messages
- Delivery status is shown
- Can create group chats with up to 256 people
- You can delete unwanted messages within 1 hour of sending
- Disappearing message feature is also present which disappears after a stated time
- WhatsApp also provides an option for a business account
- No face filters are provided
- No virtual assistant to guide through the app
- WhatsApp Calling is not available in some countries
- Video files larger than 16Mb and documents larger than 100mbs cannot be shared
- No built-in animated stickers
- Contact number is required to add contact
- No sign out option
- Needs internet connection to work
- Not easy to search for someone on WhatsApp
- The app is required for both parties to communicate
- Messages can’t be sent to the normal SMS inbox of a phone
- Cannot hide from a certain user
Viber has been one of the pioneers of online video calling and messaging platforms. It is an instant messaging and cross-platform VoIP software solution designed for personal use and available for both desktops and as a mobile app.
In fact, it has over a billion users worldwide and includes the feature of unlimited member group chats. Users can also make paid international calls with ‘Viber Out’.
- Free of cost
- Higher integration with phone calling (syncs call log from the phone, full-screen Viber call notification)
- Can call both users and non-users of Viber, but is paid for calling non-users
- Can create group chats with unlimited members
- Is available on Android, iOS, Windows, and Blackberry
- Good range of multimedia sharing
- Has emoticons for sharing
- High-quality video and audio meetings with more than 1 person (20 people video conferences)
- Has a desktop app
- Another feature of communities is available, which one can join into to socialize.
- Shows read message status
- Call on any phone number, either mobile or landline, through Viber out (needs credit)
- Has disappearing messages feature
- Can delete and edit sent messages
- You can create stickers too
- No call blocking
- Low quality on slow Wi-Fi
- Needs Wi-Fi to use
- Multimedia directly gets downloaded in your gallery and this option cannot be changed
- Contains ads
- There’s a limit to file sharing size
- Privacy issue as contact number becomes public and people can add you in random groups
- If the app is uninstalled, the history of chats is deleted
- No search inside conversation feature
- Cannot disable read receipts feature, unlike WhatsApp
- As a privacy breach, new user notification is given to your contacts if you join Viber
- Syncing between the desktop app and mobile app is faulty.
- Sent photos are not organized hence, hard to keep track of
- Contacts cannot be added through the desktop app
- No spam folder
- No active users list
Instagram is one of the most popular mobile photo, video sharing applications. It is a new method of sharing pictures online via social media sites and has more than a billion users worldwide. Additionally, the Instagram Direct feature in Instagram allows for messaging and calling other Instagram users.
- Doesn’t require a mobile phone number, just a sign up on the app.
- Video call with up to 50 Instagram friends at once.
- Free of cost calls and messages
- Convenient picture sharing
- No ads in Instagram Direct
- Cannot call someone who is not following you on Instagram
- Can only call or message other Instagram users
- Requires Wi-Fi to work
Facebook Messenger is the messaging and calling app of Facebook, the leading social media network in the world. Home to millions of users, the Facebook network can be connected together through the messenger app, which allows free messaging and audio or video calling.
- Free of cost
- Watch videos within a group video chat with friends
- Group video calls up to 50 people
- You can send and request money from your friends
- You can share video and audio messages with a file size of less than 25Mb
- Supports integration of third-party extensions with conversations
- Access chatbots for a variety of purposes from booking a movie ticket to get the latest news update
- Add nicknames to conversations
- Start an encrypted secret conversation
- Use as a default messaging app for your phone
- No ads
- You can play games with friends
- Can only call or message users of Facebook messenger app
- Background running sucks battery and mobile data
- Facebook messenger app is a requirement to communicate with other Facebook users, apart from the Facebook app itself.
- Take up a large space in your phone, around 70mbs.
- Privacy issues arise involving an audio recording clause in their terms and agreements.
- Lags in lower-performing phones
Got an app that’s using too much data on your phone? You can reduce data usage by apps on your mobile! Also, if you are worried about privacy invasion by an app, we’ve got all you need to know about data privacy too!
The Talk Home App helps families and friends all over the world stay connected and closer together. This platform allows more than 2 billion internationals to keep in touch via a high-quality calling and messaging service which is easy to use, secure and affordable – both nationally and internationally.
- Flexible bundles
- Very inexpensive international calls
- High-quality call connection
- Pay-as-you-go feature, i.e., no phone contract or SIM required, just download the app, buy credit and hit the call button
- No Wi-Fi required for the recipient
- User-Friendly interface
- Provides Local Access calling for national calls
- Multiplatform (Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows)
- Light app with less download size
- No In-app calling or texting
- The app is free of cost, but the service requires a subscription of a bundle or getting credit to call
- The desktop app is not available
Connecting over 200 million people to their families and friends all over the world, the IMO app provides free video calling and chatting facilities to users.
- Free services
- Feature of sharing stories like Snapchat and Instagram
- It provides a large file sharing size, i.e., 10Gb
- You can join or create groups to meet people of the same interest
- The profile can be personalized with flexible decorative options
- Chatrooms available to make new friends
- A system of Imo levels for users. Higher usage awards higher levels that promise a more fun experience
- Small application size for download (around 5.3MB)
- Stickers available in over 150 categories
- You can make high-end video and voice calls
- The app encrypts all your calls. This would ensure the privacy of your calls
- Group chat features.
- Gives high quality even under low connectivity situation
- Block contact feature
- Support multi-person audio and video calls with up to 20 person
- Stable calls even on 2G networks
- Support file and document sharing (ZIP, MP3, PDF, etc.)
- Internet connectivity required
- Battery usage is high
- Anyone can contact you directly without you being able to accept or reject their request
- Documents cannot be shared on IMO
- The app is required by both parties to communicate for free
- There is no privacy for last seen status
- You can’t send your location or contact with IMO.
- Has ads
KakaoTalk is a free communication app that offers free audio and video calling, instant messaging, and other features like location sharing, and playing games. This Asian-based app has around 150 million users worldwide.
- Unlimited free voice, video calls and text messages to other users.
- Group text messaging supported.
- Supports Android, iOS, Windows OS, and Mac OS.
- Available in 15 languages.
- Provides funny voice filter features during audio calls
- Additional features of listening to music and playing games within the app
- Can be used for online payments
- Built-in search engine facility
- Can send gifts through the app
- Digital bulletin boards to manage meetings conveniently
- Feature of secret chat for better privacy
- Open chat rooms
- A mobile phone number is required to use the app features
- No calling or messaging to non-KakaoTalk users
- No privacy protocol and no encryption
- Blocking feature not comprehensive
- Limited emoticons
- User base minimal outside of Korea
- No desktop app
- No end-to-end encryption
Google Hangouts is a cross-platform messaging app developed by Google that allows members to message, audio or video chat, either personally or in a group.
You can use Google Hangouts to host conference calls and live streams for YouTube content also. The app is free to use and is available on all major platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and the web.
- Cross-platform synchronization
- Video conferencing with up to 10 members
- No mobile number required
- Integrated with most of Google services
- Google+ account required
- Only app users can communicate
- No read receipts or delivery tracking of messages
- Cannot set a personalized status. It will either be online or offline
- User names are not customisable
- No poll or interactivity features
- Poor video sharing experience
- Hard to share large files
- Privacy issues involving the app syncing with other Google services
With over 15 million users worldwide, TextNow has also become a name in Wi-Fi calling and messaging apps. TextNow is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that provides free calling services to users by making use of other network coverages.
- A personal dedicated number is generated for each user
- Voice mail facility is available
- Group texting feature available
- Conference calling is also possible
- Multiplatform involving android, iOS, windows etc.
- Call forwarding feature
- Calls made outside the app are not free
- Contains many ads
- Cannot group call with more than 3 participants
- Quality can be compromised in weaker connections
Textplus is another leading mobile communications service that lets you text, talk and share multimedia for free or at a very low cost without the need for a data plan.
It is popular among more than 100 million users worldwide and is available for iOS and Android smartphones and devices.
- Free of cost services
- Simple interface
- You can choose your own number and change it whenever you want
- Free inbound calls
- Cheap outbound calls
- Group texting
- Can send a text to and call a non-user
- Requires Wi-Fi to work
- Free texting is limited to the US and Canada
🤔 Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I Make WiFi Calls Without Service?
Voice-Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) can be used to make Wi-Fi calls even when you do not have mobile service. It allows you to call through the Internet and connect it to either local lines or other mobile phones.
There are various Wi-Fi calling and texting apps from the list above that provide VoIP services. Each has a different bundle rate and different quality of service. Make sure to have a good internet connection to ensure a high-quality call.
If you are experiencing confusion while trying to call internationally, we got you covered! The complete guide on how to make international calls will provide you with all the necessary information you need.
2. Can You Text on WiFi Without Service?
Yes, you can. There are dozens of free Wi-Fi calling and texting apps on the internet to choose from that allow you to send texts through WiFi even when you don’t have service.
3. What is the Best App for Free Wi-Fi Calling?
There isn’t any single best free Wi-Fi calling app you can find on the internet, as it depends on how well an app satisfies a user’s specific need. However, you CAN find an app that suits your requirements among all the top Wi-Fi calling apps prevalent on the internet.
You will need to check, in comparison to the competitors, whether the app provides you:
- Cheaper services
- Higher quality calling
- More flexibility in user personalisation
- More additional features you may like
- National and/or international calling, depending upon your requirement
- Internet-less calling
The Talk Home App is one of the few best free Wi-Fi calling and texting apps for android,iOS and Windows platforms that provides very cheap, high-quality Wi-Fi calls.
Additionally, you can also enjoy increased flexibility in choosing your own data plan. Furthermore, it also allows you to place calls to phones that may not have Wi-Fi access through connecting with local lines.
4. What is the Downside of Wi-Fi Calling?
Despite having various benefits, Wi-Fi calling also has its disadvantages. Since the call will depend on whether you have Wi-Fi or not, an unstable internet connection can prove to be a barrier to clear Wi-Fi calling.
Furthermore, if signal strength drops, your call may be transferred over to your mobile data plan, incurring heavy costs without you realising.
Also, some devices do not support Wi-Fi calling and may require additional hardware for compatibility. Finally, some carriers do not allow international calling even on Wi-Fi.
In conclusion, there is a lot of free Wi-Fi calling apps that can provide you with great service. However, it all depends upon the user’s own requirements. Each app has its own key features that allow it to excel in one aspect but may compromise on another.
Whatever the case may be, our list of the top Wi-Fi calling apps can provide you with comprehensive knowledge of all the features each one has to offer, so you may make an educated decision of your own.
Remember, the satisfaction of your experience with one app solely depends on how well you identify your needs and choose the best app accordingly.