Why Dating Apps are Becoming the Need of the Day?
Love isn’t only an emotion; it’s a need. Through research, it is widely known that social belongingness is a fundamental human need that one has to achieve to be truly happy in life. We’re all social animals, after all.
According to Statista, 234.1 million people use online dating websites worldwide in 2022. By 2025, they are estimated to reach about 489.9 million. That is a huge number of people trying to find love and fulfil their desires. Furthermore, around 41% of people say dating is now easier than in the last decade, simply because of technology.
Technology changed the dating playground. A major part of it has shifted to virtual dating services that include free dating websites and apps. There are now over 1,500 dating websites or apps worldwide, matching millions of users with one another.
This shows the crucial requirement of people worldwide to socialise, find love and date. To cater to this need, we have outlined below a list of the best free dating apps available in 2022 for you to choose from and enjoy the best dating experience.
Best Suited For: Guys Who Want Girls To Make The First Move
In Bumble, it is all about the women. Bumble is a dating app that can highlight all profiles to all users for matching, but only the girls are allowed to message a guy if they match. That too within 24 hours! Or the opportunity disappears.
So, one-liner pick-ups were never your forte? It is okay. Let the girls handle the pressure of making the first move. They get to have freedom over whether they want to message first and make a move or not, whilst guys wait for a response, only to reply within the next 24 hours or the opportunity disappears again!
It’s one of the most popular dating apps available and has a large user base. Bumble can be of service whether you want a simple hook-up or a long-term relationship. If the girl wants to, that is.
- It lets girls make the first move
- Has dating guides and mental health awareness articles for better understanding oneself before dating
- Has interesting questions you can answer to express better on your profile
- Men can only swipe and match, but not message unless the girl messages first within 24 hours.
- Because of its first move mechanism, there isn’t much guarantee that matching will lead to meaningful conversation or dates.
- The time limit may create a coercive environment for dating
Best Suited For: Witty & Personalised Profiles For Better Expression
Like a door revolves around a hinge, dating for millennials does too. Hinge is a highly personalised Instagram version of dating apps. Users get to create their profiles with as much expression as they want.
This gives more information to users to find matches for themselves and allows for casual relationships to be built at their own pace. It uses wit and humour to allow a user to express themselves even more.
This takes users away from the standard swipe mechanism of dating apps and allows them to take their time to find a person best compatible with them.
- It has profile prompts and photos to provide conversation starters
- The instagram-like interface that highlights key characteristics of profiles
- Has a casual, laid-back environment
- You can only send 10 likes each day in the free version
- It asks for a lot of personal information for building your profile which might be a privacy concern for some users.
Best Suited For: Easy Swiping Of Profiles To Find A Match
With a literal flame in its logo design, Tinder put quick dating on fire! With an easy-to-use interface allowing for simple right or left swiping of profiles, as per your choice, Tinder lets you make quick judgements of a person.
When both people swipe right on each other, they get a match and a chance to talk to each other and set up a date. If you get the premium version, you get some added features, including super likes and rewind, to give you another opportunity to swipe right if you missed it by chance.
- It allows quick browsing of profiles for easy swiping
- It is simple. Directly shows profiles to match with, and if matched, allows simple messaging.
- It has introduced in-app video calling without sharing of personal information
- Has location-based suggestions of users in the vicinity
- It does not have detailed profiles with more information about the user
- Profiles are not vetted properly, meaning that scams and deception can be common
Coffee Meets Bagel
Best Suited For: Getting Curated Profiles focused On Long-Term Relationships
Quality over quantity is what ‘Coffee Meets Bagel’ preaches. Meaning, you won’t be swiping away at loads of choices on this app, rather, each day you’ll get a few curated profiles that have been vetted by other users.
This culture allows users to have a laid-back and casual dating experience where they don’t waste most of their time on these dating apps. Rather, they just go through 5- 20 of the ‘Bagels’ (profiles) they receive each day and let time run its course.
Furthermore, if chats remain inactive for 3 days straight, they expire. This motivates users to periodically stay in touch and can empower a love-bound long-term relationship.
- Focus is on forming lasting relationships
- You get to receive curated matches daily
- You don’t waste much time solely on dating
- It lacks the option for video chat
- You do not get many choices each day, unlike other apps
- The chats can expire
Best Suited For: Liberals That Need More Flexibility In Choosing Gender Options
Offering 22 gender options and 13 orientation choices, OkCupid is an app that focuses on inclusivity and diversity. It allows users to answer questions based on their own views and opinions regarding socio-political issues.
Their answers help the app’s algorithm to filter better compatible recommendations for the users so that they may match with people that have similar mindsets. This app’s niche is to gather enough information about you to provide you with best-suited profiles, so you don’t waste your time swiping through a handful of them.
- The app has many features in its free version
- It offers very inclusive identification options for gender and sexual identities
- It has a free interface that shows ads and may invite casual browsers
- No video chat option is available
Best Suited For: Finding Casual And Serious Relationships Within A Large User Base
Providing various features to users, the Match dating app has been in this business for a long time. From learning continuously and improving future recommendations with every swipe you do, to be integrated with Apple and Android watches, you get to enjoy many features.
However, these additional features require you to purchase the subscription. Also, because the initial survey is quite comprehensive and time-consuming, it gathers a lot of data regarding your opinions and views to give much better recommendations.
But after you’ve completed building up your profile, you don’t just get dropped in the sea to be fished out, rather your profile goes under review by Match staff. Only after being accepted, do you get to use the app properly.
- Shows robust and vetted profiles
- An intuitive interface for better user experience
- It has an excellent filtering tool
- It allows a video chat facility
- Its paid version is quite expensive
- After signing up, your profile will take time to be approved
- The sign-up survey is lengthy
Best Suited For: Homo-, Bi-, Trans-sexuals Looking For Relationships
The main go-to app for gays, bisexuals, transexuals and queer people. Those wanting to seek the companionship of other men around their vicinity can make use of Grindr’s easy to use interface and algorithm to create a concise profile and get matched to potential partners.
Apart from this, all other features are like any other basic functions provided by dating apps. The only thing that makes this app popular is its exclusivity towards homosexuals and bisexuals.
- Easy to register and navigate
- The large active user base
- The location-based app makes it easy to find nearby users
- Faceless profiles and bots are common
- Ads regularly interrupt the experience and can be difficult to exit from
Best Suited For: Finding A Potential Long-Term Partner For Marriage
Your best mate in finding a long-term partner, eHarmony. With one of the most extensive profile-building capabilities, eHarmony focuses on knowing as much as it can about you to help you express yourself to the best.
It further gives a wide option of gender and orientation choices to make it inclusive. However, eHarmony asks for users to get paid subscriptions to enjoy the most out of the app. This limits the functionality of free users, as some basic features provided free by other apps are also paid in eHarmony.
- Robust privacy and security features
- It has a thorough profile-building process that gets better with time
- It allows video dating
- Expensive to use additional features with basic features also not free
- The survey filled on a sign-up can be difficult for some
Best Suited For: Singles Who Identify With The Gaming Community
Do you game? Or are you a fan of the gaming community and comfortable discussing it with a partner who’s into it too? Then Kippo seems to be the right fit for you. With a uniquely tailored environment created just for gamers, you can enjoy finding a potential gaming partner or (if things go well) life partner.
Kippo was created in 2018 and currently has around 25,000 active members each month while being downloaded over 350,000 times.
With simple messaging, you get to link game cards with your account. This really helps find a compatible partner and makes filtering out recommendations much easier for you.
- Getting the Kippo infinity membership allows you to have an unlimited number of matches.
- You can add cards in a deck that appears on your profile, with each card showing what you like.
- Kippo also offers its own comics on Instagram, representing the lives of single people or those trying to date somebody. It keeps the humour in dating alive
- It isn’t suitable for somebody who’s not into gaming or doesn’t like it. The culture may seem a little overwhelming to them.
- The fee for additional features and membership is slightly higher than other apps.
- Much smaller user base.
Best Suited for: Singles who are looking out for romantic opportunities.
Happn is another attractive choice for Christians looking for a chance to find the correct date and encounter their lifetime love. The free dating software takes advantage of a smartphone’s GPS settings to frequently discover matches that cross your path. The software emphasizes locations where you and another person share common ground (literally) and pinpoints places you both frequent. Because you already know their preferred hangouts, this might make asking someone out a lot easier.
Christians can use Happn to meet folks who go to the same church or visit similar activities or restaurants. The mapping tool gives you a unique look into your match’s everyday routine and lifestyle. Don’t worry; the app will never reveal your current location.
Happy, which has a 4.1-star rating on Google Play, has been downloaded by over 70 million people. You can establish real-life love prospects by mixing on Happn if you wish to change your luck in the dating market.
- It is easy to sign up for the app and use it.
- You can also avoid connecting the app to Facebook during signup.
- You can use the app for free, but there is a paid option.
- Not a popular and widespread app compared to other dating sites/apps.
- There is no personality or compatibility-based matching available.
- Interesting features are locked behind a pay gate.
Best Suited for: Guys looking for Casual Dates and relationships.
Zoosk is our top pick for the best free dating app for various reasons. It contains a database of approximately 40 million members. It provides both free and paid members with a variety of communication tools. It also includes dating advice to new users who aren’t sure what to do.
The online dating network Zoosk has been on the rise since the debut of its dating app. The Zoosk app is the most popular dating app in the Apple App Store, with a 4.4-star rating.
“There are a lot of things about Zoosk that I like. In a review, Rancho Cowboy commented, “It’s one of the best dating sites.” On that point, we must agree with Rancho Cowboy.
- The app is well-designed and easy to use
- You get a lot of basic information about the person even after meeting them.
- Messaging through the app isn’t free
Best Suited for: Single lesbians, straight couples, lesbian couples, and other groups.
HER has amassed a membership of more than 4 million women of various sexual orientations. Robyn Exton, a lesbian, founded a female-only dating app in 2013 after becoming dissatisfied with the absence of options for women in the LGBTQ+ community. She wanted to rid of the fetish, stigma, and BS and provide a safe space for womxn to connect.
It’s not only about dating in the HER community. It all comes down to friendship. It’s a matter of pride. It’s also about the right to freedom of expression. The dating app provides a unique and safe environment for women to share their views and experiences in a public newsfeed.
- The app can help you narrow down your options, so you don’t waste time with people you don’t want to be with.
- Meet singles without leaving the vicinity of your home.
- Getting a match is also convenient.
- Sometimes, it gets hard to keep real conversation over an app.
- People may look different in real life.
- You are more open to harassment on the app.
Black People Meet
Best Suited for: black and biracial singles
Black People Meet is the most popular black and interracial dating site. With its inclusive tools and extensive profiles, the specialized community has welcomed singles of all colors and creeds since 2002 and celebrated diversity.
Thousands of active the United States and Canada members make up BlackPeopleMeet today. In two minutes, you can establish a dating profile for free and see what all the excitement is about. A client from Pittsburgh remarked, “Thanks a lot for the comfort and flexibility of the BlackPeopleMeet site.” “On this site, I met a beautiful man named Eric only a few days after subscribing.”
- Numerous search filters are available for free.
- Large user base of black and biracial singles.
- Detailed profile includes personality questions, basic stats, interests, and photo albums.
- So many matching features can be confusing or overwhelming.
- The accessible communication of the app is limited.
Best Suited For: People looking for marriage based on shared faith
ChristianMingle is the leading Christian dating site for singles looking for a faith-based marriage. Its matchmaking capabilities aren’t as impressive as divine intervention, but they’ll do the job. ChristianMingle has been single-minded in its objective to uphold loving relationships and unite Christians worldwide since its inception.
Anyone serious about dating a Christian is welcome to join the user base. You don’t have to be a Christian to be open to love; all you need is an open heart. In a testimonial, Keren and Josue wrote, “Give ChristianMingle a try.” “It’s a strong platform blessed by God that God may use to guide you to the proper person.”
- It is easy to find common ground with people
- Chances are you will find a partner you value your faith
- Having a commonality makes it easy to break the ice and have a common ground for communication.
- The app is expensive to use
- It is hard to interact with other members
- There are no backgrounds checks on the profiles
Best Suited for: those aged 50 and older
OurTime is a popular senior dating site with a positive reputation among daters over 50. The site provides a user-friendly environment, so you don’t need to be tech-savvy to find love here. OurTime is available for download on Google Play and the App Store. The software can quickly help singles uncover commonalities and create rapport in a live conversation.
On OurTime, free members can send and receive many likes, but they must upgrade if they want to send a message or engage in discussion. This payment technique protects elderly singles from online crooks and spammers.
- The simple layout of the app makes it easier to use.
- It is super affordable.
- Everyone on the dating site is within the same rank of age
- Free members are not able to avail every feature on the site.
- Free members cannot send unlimited messages.
- Not a good place for sugar dating.
Best Suited For: Finding a second shot at love.
When you join SilverSingles, you become a member of a select group of older daters. The singles here have been around the block a few times and aren’t interested in playing games, wasting time, or seeing what happens. They’re dating for a reason, and it’s obvious.
In the Matches part of the SilverSingles dating platform, compatible profiles are highlighted, but you can only access images if you’re a full member with a completed profile. You can sort your matches by age, height, and distance and filter the results by favourites and those who have previously written you a message.
Silver Singles has a lot of great selections, and the matching tools can help you rapidly reduce things down to a few.
- The app has an exclusive database of 50+ singles from several countries.
- Detailed and engaging profiles.
- The user-friendly interface of the app makes it fun.
- Free users cannot send messages or see profile pictures of their matches.
- There are occasional reports about fake or scam profiles.
Best Suited For: Commitment-minded and professional daters
EliteSingles is a high-end dating site and app for the world’s most accomplished and ambitious professionals. The network members are the crème de la crème of the dating world, and they will not settle for anything less than the best dating service.
Singles generally have great hopes when they join EliteSingles, and the daily match list can live up to those expectations and then some. You’ll find a lot of profiles here that are highly educated, competent, and funny.
Over 80% of EliteSingles members have at least a bachelor’s degree, and over 90% indicate they want to be in a relationship with someone who has a similar lifestyle and values. This elite dating service guarantees genuine introductions and no phony profiles.
- In-depth sign-up.
- The app focuses on quality matches.
- Messaging isn’t free.
- Narrow age range.
If luck favours, you may find your soulmate or life partner in any of the highlighted apps. However, eHarmony, OKCupid, Match.com, Coffee Meets Bagel are certain apps that focus more on serious relationships through their algorithms.
Tinder is one of the most active dating apps worldwide. But this constantly fluctuates according to the needs of people and app updates.
It may not feel like it, but they do. It may be true that most people who find dates from these apps are females, but it does not mean that these apps do not work for guys. Technically, the ratio of men to women on dating apps is 40:60, meaning women are more on these apps than guys.
This may be a cause of more women going on dates than guys. However, guys who struggle through it do get dates from these apps.
Whether long-distance relationships or short-distance, long-term relationships or short-term, the dating apps that have been identified offer you the opportunity to find love of any kind you want. Millions of people are looking for their partners with the help of these apps.
So, after you’ve established what you’re looking for exactly, choose the app that suits you best and get dating! Oh, and remember to be persistent in your efforts! Trust in the app algorithms to help you find who you’re looking for, and don’t get frustrated if you do!
Because one never knows where they find love. Using these apps, even if you don’t find love, you might find people who connect with you.